If you need someone to talk to you can call Colorado Crisis Services at 1-844-493-8255 OR text the word "TALK" to 38255
We asked, and you said...
(Real texts from the community that came through the 95.7 The Party text line at 56690)
Is this a new way of life? To have escape plans and routes planned ahead of time "just in case".
- It''s sad that we have to do it now - but my boyfriend and I discuss an emergency plan any time we go to big events now, like concerts such. We identify a meet up point in case we get separated, and discuss a few ways to get out of the venue quickly/safely if something were to happen. It''s awful, but it makes me feel a little safer when going to events that draw a huge crowd.
- I'm an army vet. Every big venue I identify every Exit and make plans on what to do in case of a emergency. I literally have anxiety going to movie theaters.
Parents, how do you talk to your kids about school shootings and violence?
- Our kids in today''s society have to know this is a reality. No hiding it. We tell our kids if they hear of anything it''s important and must be reported.Even if it seems like a joke. And they need to always be aware of their surroundings and trust their teacher.
- Be honest with the kids, they don''t live in a bubble. If you don''t tell them the truth, someone else will tell it to them. You need to have an open dialogue with your child if you want them to trust you.
What is it like sending your child to school these days?
- Do we need to arm security guards and teachers in schools for school shootings
- Honestly I can't believe what this has come to. School shootings have become like a new trend and it's very sad
- Just a thought.... Why don''t we have some kind of self-defense class mandatory in all high schools? Shooters might be more timid if they feel the student body is brave and won''t back down as easily to violence or aggression.
- We teach our kids more about drill in a school about shooters than we do about balancing a checkbook it's frustrating
- I am so frustrated by ANOTHER school shooting- we DO seem to be defined by school shootings in the US now. People keep saying "this doesn''t define us, but it does. We are in a country where this keeps happening and nothing changes. I have 4 children that attend school and I worry everyday that I might not see them again in the afternoon.WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO TO GET THIS TO CHANGE????
- I am feeling RAGE. WHY the hell haven''t our schools started the process of METAL DETECTORS AND X RAY GRAPHS ON ALL DOORS AND ROOF DROP ENTRANCES? Yes it will create contractual realization of how bad things are getting, but NOTHING can matter more than my children''s safety. This was my last straw. I have to find a way to tell my daughter that her freshmen year will be starting AS HOME SCHOOL. HOW MANY MORE KIDS HAVE TO DIE BEFORE SOMETHING IS DONE TO FORTIFY OUR SCHOOLS SAFETY????
A word from teachers...
- As a teacher days like yesterday make it hard to want to go to work
- Being a teacher I have a plan if something were to happen and having to do this breaks my heart this shouldn't be the new norm.
- I'm a teacher and a mother and I told my kids that school is safe as I tell my students I remind him to take care of themselves and be aware
Listen below to phone calls Nina, Deuce & Dubz got this morning from parents and members of our community about what they had to say
Another school shooting has happened in 2019.
At about 2p on Tuesday May 7th, 2019 STEM school in Highlands Ranch, CO heard gunshots in the school hall ways.
There was 1 student killed and 8 others injured.