Colorado Dragon Boat Festival
July 27th & 28th
Sloan's Lake, Denver
Parking @ Auraria Campus
Races: Sat + Sun, 8 am start
>> More info <<
- More than 20 food vendors in two Taste of Asia Food Courts
- A huge Asian Marketplace of gifts, artisans and organizations
- A Wellness Village where health is the focus
- Dragonland interactive children's area
- And over 100 performances on five stages that feature traditional Asian to contemporary Asian American culture.
- You can enjoy Chinese fan dances, watch authentic martial arts demonstrations, rock out at the Band Stage located in our Beer Garden!
Dragon Boat Racing is an ancient Chinese sport that's catching on across the US, as well as internationally, with competitions and cultural festivals held worldwide.
Dragon boating is over 2,000 years old and is steeped in tradition. In ancient China, Chu Yuan, a poet, warrior, and loyal aid to the Emperor, fell victim to plots and deception, and fell out of favor with the Court.
When the old Emperor died, Chu Yuan was unjustly banished and wandered the countryside writing poems he hoped would be heard and heeded by the new Emperor.
Despondent, he finally threw himself into the Mi Lo River. His devoted followers, learning of his death, beat their paddles on the water and banged drums and gongs to frighten away the fish from Chu Yuan’s body. Athletes all over the world still meet to commemorate Yuan’s sacrifice for honor and justice.